MDG Progress Reports - Arab States23 Sep 2013
The Arab Millennium Development Goals Report: Facing Challenges and Looking Beyond 2015
The Arab region has achieved progress in many MDGs, including significant strides in health and education. However, there have been setbacks and constraints attributable to several factors, including the relatively poor economic performance in the 1990s and early 2000s, inadequate financing of social policies, and increasing political tensions and conflicts.
This report is a response to a request by the United Nations General Assembly for a periodic assessment of progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). It was jointly prepared by the League of Arab States, the United Nations organizations members of the Regional Coordination Mechanism (RCM) and the Regional United Nations Development Group for the Arab States, and coordinated by the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA).
This publication is based on a set of data compiled by ESCWA in consultation with the member countries of the League of Arab States. Data are drawn from both national and international sources, mainly the United Nations Statistics Division Millennium Development Goals Indicators database.
- Extreme poverty is low in the Arab region, but the 2015 target is unlikely to be met.
- Around 85 percent of children of primary school age went to school in 1999, and that rate rose to 92 per cent in 2011.
- Despite women’s strong participation in political demonstrations in some countries in transition, there have been no successful efforts to systematically ensure a greater legislative representation of women.
- Three out of the four subregions have achieved or are close to achieving the target of reducing the under-five mortality rate by two thirds.
- Antenatal care coverage is improving across the region, but progress is marginal in LDCs. Efforts are being made to increase the coverage of HIV treatment, nevertheless it is still insufficient.
- Access to safe water markedly differs between urban and rural areas across the region.
Country progress reports
- Algeria 2010 | 2005
- Bahrain 2010 | 2004-2007 | 2003
- Djibouti 2010 | 2005
2010 | 2008 | 2005 Ar
2004 | 2004 Ar | 2002
- Iraq 2013 | 2013 Ar
- Jordan 2010 | 2010 Ar | 2004
- Kuwait 2010 | 2005 | 2003
- Lebanon 2008 | 2003 | 2003 Ar
- Libyan Arab Jamahiriya 2008
2009 Fr | 2009 Ar | 2007 Fr
2007 Ar | 2005 Fr | 2003 Fr
Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
2010 Ar | 2009 | 2006
- Qatar 2005 | 2005 Ar
2011 | 2010 | 2010 Ar
2009 | 2008 | 2005
- Somalia 2010 | 2007
- Sudan 2010 | 2004
Syrian Arab Republic
2010 | 2010 Ar | 2005
- Tunisia 2004 Fr | 2004 English
- United Arab Emirates 2007 | 2004
- Yemen 2010 | 2005 | 2003