Sima Sami Bahous, Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator & Regional Director for Arab States
22 February 2012 - United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced the appointment of Sima Sami Bahous of Jordan as
Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator & Regional Director for Arab States at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Ms. Bahous brings many years of leadership experience to this position. She has been the Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the Social Development Sector at the League of Arab States since 2008.
Prior to this, she has served in two ministerial posts in Jordan as President of the Higher Media Council (2005-2008) and as Advisor to King Abdullah II (2003-2005).
Previous roles include:
- Head of the Media and Information Division at the Royal Hashemite Court (2001-2003);
- Executive Director for the King Hussein Foundation (1999-2001);
- Development and Communication Specialist and later Executive Director of the Queen Noor Al Hussein Foundation (1986-2001).
- Lecturer of Development and Communication at Yarmouk University and Petra University in Jordan (1986-1991);
- Producer and Host, Jordan Radio and Television Corporation (1980-1983).
Ms. Bahous holds a PhD in Mass Communication and Development from Indiana University, USA, an MA in Literature and Drama from Essex University, UK and a BA in English Literature from Jordan University.
Mourad Wahba, Deputy Regional Director for Arab States
Sophie de Caen,Deputy Regional Director for Arab States
Sophie de Caen (Canada) has taken up her new assignment as the Deputy Assistant Administrator and Deputy Regional Director of the Regional Bureau for Arab States (RBAS) on 1 July 2015.
Before joining RBAS, Sophie served as:
- Senior Country Director in Haiti (2013 to 2015)
- Director of the Millennium Development Goals Achievement Fund (2008-2012)
- United Nations Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Cameroon (2005-2008)
- UNDP Deputy Resident Representative in Egypt (2001-2005)
- Chief, Evaluation Unit
- UN Capital Development Fund (1997-2001)
- UN Policy Affairs Officer
- UN Development Group Office (1996-1997)
- Assistant Resident Representative in Sri Lanka (1994-1996)
- Assistant Resident Representative in Bangladesh (1991-1994)
- Programme Officer in DRC (1988-1991).
Sophie has enjoyed a long and diverse career with UNDP. She began her career with UNDP as a Junior Professional Officer in Benin (1986-1988).
Sophie holds a Masters’ Degree in International Relations from Webster University in the Netherlands and a Bachelor’s degree in Forestry Engineering from Laval University in Canada.