Sima Sami Bahous, Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator & Regional Director for Arab States
22 February 2012 - United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced the appointment of Sima Sami Bahous of Jordan as
Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator & Regional Director for Arab States at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Ms. Bahous brings many years of leadership experience to this position. She has been the Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the Social Development Sector at the League of Arab States since 2008.
Prior to this, she has served in two ministerial posts in Jordan as President of the Higher Media Council (2005-2008) and as Advisor to King Abdullah II (2003-2005).
Previous roles include:
- Head of the Media and Information Division at the Royal Hashemite Court (2001-2003);
- Executive Director for the King Hussein Foundation (1999-2001);
- Development and Communication Specialist and later Executive Director of the Queen Noor Al Hussein Foundation (1986-2001).
- Lecturer of Development and Communication at Yarmouk University and Petra University in Jordan (1986-1991);
- Producer and Host, Jordan Radio and Television Corporation (1980-1983).
Ms. Bahous holds a PhD in Mass Communication and Development from Indiana University, USA, an MA in Literature and Drama from Essex University, UK and a BA in English Literature from Jordan University.
Mourad Wahba, Deputy Regional Director for Arab States
Mr. Mourad Wahba (Egypt) has been appointed as Deputy Regional Director for the Arab States.
Since October 2009, Mourad has served as Director of the Security Office in the Bureau of Management.
- UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative in Morocco (2006-2009);
- Director, United Nations Affairs in the Partnerships Bureau (2001-2006);
- Deputy Resident Representative (Programme and Operations) in Guyana (1999-2001);
- Policy Advisor, Office of the Administrator (1997-1999);
- Programme Advisor in the Human Development Report Office (1997-1999).
Mourad began his career with the United Nations in 1993 as a Senior Officer in the Office of the Secretary-General working with Boutros Boutros-Ghali.
Before joining the UN, Mourad was an Assistant and later Associate Professor of Economics at the American University in Cairo and a Visiting Lecturer on international political economy at the Institute for Diplomatic Studies, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Egypt (1987-1993). He holds a M.A. from the American University in Cairo as well as a D Phil from the University of Oxford.