Towards a culture of tolerance and peace - UNDP trains teachers on peace building and conflict resolution skills
For three consecutive days, Theodora Jaafar, a teacher working in the public school of Al Qasr northern village drove around three hours daily to attend the “peace building and conflict resolution skills” training for public schools teachers, led by UNDP in partnership with UNHCR.
- Despite the ongoing clashes and the erosive impact of the Syrian crisis on livelihoods, this training offered important information on how to deal with conflicts.
- “I used to think that we, as teachers, are helpless and that we can’t do a thing to stop the tensions, but now I know that we can start within our own spectrum, on a smaller scale”
“I wanted to benefit the most from this training which I found extremely useful. It introduces us to conflict prevention tools and strategies and helps build a culture of peace” said Theodora.
Despite the ongoing clashes and the erosive impact of the Syrian crisis on livelihoods, this training offered important information on how to deal with conflicts. “It empowered us to assume a peace building role in our schools and communities and provided us with necessary tools to apply key peace building concepts, “she explained.
“Following this training, I can perceive peace building, not only on a large scale but more on a day-to-day operation”, she added.
“I used to think that we, as teachers, are helpless and that we can’t do a thing to stop the tensions, but now I know that we can start within our own spectrum, on a smaller scale”
Amid violent clashes in Tripoli, North Lebanon that were taking place in parallel with the training, and the tensed security situation in the country, organizing a peace building training was a challenge for the UNDP Strengthening Civil Peace in Lebanon project, and attending it was an emerging need for the 70 teachers coming from Beqaa and North Lebanon.
Trained by the Center for Active Citizenship and For Development, the participating teachers are now able to explore, analyze and examine alternatives on discriminative and intolerant behaviors and understand the different behavior styles in conflict and violence situations. They have also developed their skills in conflict resolution, nonviolence, problem solving, and negotiation and mediation techniques.
“In the beginning I thought that this training will be a waste of time, said Adnan Taleb, a teacher in the Jeb Jannine public school, in Hermel. Until I realized how important and valuable are the information shared. This workshop offered me the techniques and tools to apply all the peace building concepts I used to know” concluded Adnan.
- 01 Jul 2015:UNDP signs a Memorandum of Understanding with L’Orient Le Jour and The Daily Star
- 04 Oct 2012:Launching of the study 'The status of Mukhtars and their role in strengthening civil peace in Lebanon” and the guide “Local authorities and peace building"
- 12 Apr 2012:Launching event of 'the bus takes the podium: voyages in the memory of Lebanon and its people”