Arab Development Forum
Priorities for the Post-2015 Agenda in the Arab Region
Date: 10 - 11 April 2013
Location: Amman, Jordan
In order to succeed in building a clear, coherent and inspiring post-2015 development agenda across the Arab region, the Regional United Nations Development Group (UNDG) is organizing a forum on addressing the Development Agenda in Arab Countries.
The Arab Development Forum will take place in Amman, Jordan, on 10 and 11 April 2013. High-Level Panel Member for Post – 2015 in the Arab region Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan is expected to participate. The Forum will also be attended by Helen Clark, Chair of UNDG; and the UNSG’s Envoy on Youth, Ahmad Alhindawi.
The Forum will provide an opportunity for participants from civil society, academia and the private sector from across the Arab region to identify priorities, challenges and generate ideas towards national visions on the post-2015 development agenda.
The Forum will address several issues that are of importance to the region under the following themes:
- Poverty reduction, inclusive growth and employment generation
- Conflict prevention and social cohesion
- Voice, participation, citizen engagement and political inclusion
- Access to and quality of basic services: health and education
- Environmental sustainability Post Rio
In addition, gender and youth will be mainstreamed throughout the analysis of each working group.
Discussions and analysis will also draw upon and inform national consultations in Algeria, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Yemen, and will utilize e-consultations to engage stakeholders from across the region.
The outcome of the discussions will be a Chairperson’s Report outlining recommendations for the Post-2015 Development Agenda, which will feed into the UNDG synthesis report due in June and the UNSG’s report to the General Assembly.
Background Documents: Post 2015 Agenda
- Preparing for the development agenda beyond 2015
- Synthesis Report on the Global Thematic Consultation on Addressing Inequalities
- The UN engages citizens around the world to take part in shaping the future global development agenda
- United Nations Millennium Declaration (Arabic)
- Report of the Secretary General: Implementation of the United Nations Millennium Declaration 2004 (A/59/282) (Arabic)
- Reports of the United Nations Secretary-General
- Millennium Development Goals – Regional Reports
- MDG Gap Task Force Reports
- UN task Team on the Post – 2015 Development Agenda
- The United Nations Development Strategy Beyond 2015. UN DESA, 2012
- Youth and skills: Putting education to work. UNESCO, 2012
- Measuring Democracy and Democratic Governance in a post-2015 Development Framework. UNDP, 2012
- Should global goal setting continue, and how, in the post-2015 era? UN DESA, 2012
- Post-2015 Development Agenda: Guidelines for National Consultations. UNDG, 2012
- Beyond 2015: Perspectives for the Future of Education. UNESCO, 2012
- Towards a Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. UN ISDR, 2012
- The MDG Acceleration Framework Toolkit. UNDG, 2011
- The Millennium Declaration, Rights, and Constitutions. UNDP and Oxford University Press, 2011 (Arabic)
- Beyond the Midpoint: Achieving the Millennium Development Goals. UNDP, 2010
- What Will It Take to Achieve the Millennium Development Goals? An International Assessment. UNDP, 2010
- Gender in the Millennium Development Goals: Information guide for Arab Millennium Development Goals reports. UN-ESCWA, 2008 (Arabic)
- Investing in Development - A Practical Plan to Achieve the Millennium Development Goals (Millennium Project, 2005): Overview Report / Full Report