17-18 March International Conference "Promoting women's political participation, essential support for political reform processes and sustainable development"
Location: Algiers, at the Palais des Nations
The conference aims to stimulate dialogue and nurture the debate on women's political rights issues, the development of mechanisms to strengthen their participation in decision-making posts, and the enhancement of women’s contribution to local development through projects, programs and actions carried out on the ground for the sake of a quality public service.
Specific objectives of the Conference:
- Highlight efforts to promote women's political rights and broaden their participation in elected local assemblies. in Algeria and across the world.
- Highlight progress made in the management of local public affairs by local elected women and make visible their involvement in it.
- Identify challenges and opportunities related to women's participation in decision-making processes.
- Outline legislative provisions for expanding women's participation in elected assemblies, their challenges and perspectives.
- Assess the impact of the quota system on elected women’s participation.
- Capitalize on international experiences in the promotion of women's political rights and in gender mainstreaming.
- Explore mechanisms to promote women involvement in the management of local public affairs.
- Examine the Algerian experience, within the context of similar experiences of other nations.
- Identify priority indicators of women's participation in public life to be included in government dashboards;
- Consolidate tools to mobilize elected women as actors of local development;
- Identify means to make the instruments for the promotion and protection of women's rights effective;
- Identify strategies, actions and good experiences employed in participating countries, as well as opportunities, assets and constraints according to local contexts;
- Capitalize on good practices and skills, knowledge and experiences of women leaders to contribute to the emergence of a model or reference in the feminine gender;
- Validate the structuring elements of action plans and strategies for sustaining processes over time.