Date: 26-27 March 2019
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
The Government of Tunisia, the Tunis City Government, the UN
Development Programme (UNDP), United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG)
and the Global Alliance for Reporting on Peaceful, Just and Inclusive
Societies are jointly organizing a Technical Consultation on Sustainable
Development Goal (SDG) 16 for the countries of the Arab States Region.
The Consultation will bring together representatives of local, regional and national governments, local government associations and civil society working at subnational level to discuss experiences and practical approaches to bring SDG 16+ forward while harnessing their key role in the shaping, implementation and monitoring of SDGs, and building coherence between stakeholders. The consultation will enable participants to share experiences, key messages and formulate recommendations for the implementation of SDG16+ for building inclusive, effective and accountable local and subnational institutions.
More specifically, the Technical Consultation will enable participants to collectively:
* Highlight key trends and achievements on SDG 16+ in institutional strengthening at subnational level.
* Provide case studies illustrating SDG 16+ in action at the local level.
* Demonstrate how progress on SDG 16+ at the local level enables progress across the 2030 Agenda.
* Make key policy recommendations to be discussed at the HLPF.
* Identify challenges and opportunities on mainstreaming SDG 16+ as part of national and subnational development and SDG implementation plans, including in crisis and conflict affected contexts.
* Identify how inclusive planning, monitoring and reporting (including through Voluntary National and Local Reviews) is or can be leveraged to put SDG 16+ into action at the local level.
The recommendations and strategies collected and developed during the consultations will inter alia inform the SDG16+ Global Conference to be held in Rome in April 2019, supporting the preparation of SDG16 reporting for HLPF 2019.