5 April: Global Launch of Jobs Make the Difference
Expanding Economic Opportunities for Syrian Refugees and Host Communities: Egypt - Iraq - Jordan - Lebanon - Syria - Turkey
Date: 5 April 2017
Location: Residence Palace, Brussels
As the Syrian crisis enters its seventh year, Jobs Makes the Difference makes it clear that expanding access to economic opportunities for those aected by the crisis must be a priority. However, it is equally clear that the current response, despite recent successes, is unlikely to be sufficient.
The launch will include a conversation on the finndings of the report and next steps, with the participation of a government in the region, and the below panelists:
- Mr. Mourad Wahba, Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations, Assistant Administrator of UNDP and Director of the UNDP Regional Bureau for Arab States.
- Ms. Ingrid Gabriela Hoven, Director-General, Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
- H.E. Mr. Martin Bille Hermann, State Secretary for Development Policy, Denmark
- Amir Mahmoud Abdulla, Deputy Executive Director, United Nations World Food Programme
- Ruba Jaradat, Assistant Director-General and Regional Director for Arab States, International Labor Organization.
The significance of the present assessment is that it demonstrates the way the different contexts and realities within the Syrian refugee situation interface with core humanitarian and development interventions endeavouring to tackle the world’s most severe and protracted refugee crisis. This time requires resilience-building responses.
It needs a concerted and sustained approach from all the partners involved, which is capable of responding to both immediate and long-term needs as they emerge.